Friday, October 21, 2011

GETTING TO KNOW ASHIA KELLY

By Jenna Marina
UCFAthletics.com

With UCF's home exhibition game against Lynn on Nov. 6 just weeks away, members of the women's basketball team are taking a break from their busy schedules to provide a glimpse into their lives. In this Q&A installment, senior guard Ashia Kelly talks about her phobia of heights and her first job.

The last time we saw you, you led the Knights with 16 points against Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament. How did it feel to not only be a part of the tournament, but to be the team's leading scorer in that game?
I was honored that I scored like that. But my teammates were there for me and I attribute all my success to my teammates. They got me the ball and I was able to put the shot up and score baskets for them. There is nothing else I could say except that my teammates are loving, caring and sharing, and you could see that works well on the court.

You've been a part of two championship seasons. What have you learned from those seasons?
How to persevere. We've gone through so many trials. Coming in as a freshman and learning new things, that was a change. Last year, I learned how to continue to persevere through tough times. We had a couple of injuries but we overcame those and showed that we could put things together through trials and tribulations.

What was your first job?
In high school, I worked at Fred's. It was like a local dollar store. My grandmother was one of the managers there so I was able to get a job. I remember the day I got my first paycheck, I was so excited. I think I spent it on gas and food. I told my parents that I wanted to be self-sufficient. I've also worked at CVS and for Neiman Marcus.

What are you most afraid of?
I am extremely terrified of heights. The first time I flew on a plane was with my mom on my first and only visit to UCF. I've adapted to endure the ride but if I tried to go sky diving or something, I'd still be terrified.

What is your first basketball memory?I played at this local league back in my hometown and I was about six years old. I remember playing against one of my best friends, and the game came down to the wire. I remember making the basket and my dad came out running and grabbed me and twirled me in the air.

What is something you want to do before you die?
I'd like to travel - there are plenty of places I want to go. But I'd really like to travel to Spain and blend with the culture and learn how to speak Spanish.