Friday, October 7, 2011

GETTING TO KNOW STEPHANIE TAYLOR

By Jenna Marina
UCFAthletics.com


With a week to go until UKnight Madness, members of the women's basketball team are taking a break from their busy schedules to provide a glimpse into their lives. In this Q&A installment, freshman forward Stephanie Taylor talks about her first day on campus and her thoughts on the Duke-North Carolina rivalry.

You're from North Carolina, and they take basketball pretty seriously there. Are you a Duke or North Carolina fan?
I'm not really a fan of either. I was that outcast that said they didn't care who won and everyone would get mad at me.

What was your first day on campus like?
My first day on campus was so fun and so confusing at the same time, especially the first day of class. The campus is so big and it is easy to get lost by the beauty of it.

What do you like most about being tall? What do you like the least?
I love my height mainly because that's how I was meant to be and both my parents are tall. It feels good when I catch people's attention and they go, "Wow, you're really tall...I wish I was tall." But I hate that being tall usually means you have big feet and can never find shoes your size or long enough jeans or pants.

Do you have any pets?
I used to have a Cocker Spaniel, her name is Princess and my family loved her so much. She passed away last year.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Well now that I'm here and we're beginning practice while having class, I LOVE getting some extra sleep in. I also like listening to music or video chatting with my family.

What has surprised you the most about the transition to college basketball?
I knew I was going to be put to work, so I was expecting it, but it's still pretty tough. Also you need to really have great time management.

Do you have any superstitions?
Not really. I just feel that if you say things out loud it may happen, so knock on wood.

The reigning Conference USA championship women's basketball team is slated to play 18 home games, tipping off with Florida A&M on Nov. 18. UCF will also welcome Hartford, Florida Gulf Coast, Virginia Tech and Florida State just before the New Year. Fans can ensure that they don't miss a minute of play by purchasing their season tickets today by calling (407) UCF-1000 or by visiting UCFAthletics.com.